Smule Originals Contest – Contest Rules
This contest (the “Contest”) is conducted by Smule, Inc. (“Smule”), is subject to all applicable federal, state, local laws and regulations, and is void where prohibited by law. By entering the Contest, each participant affirms that they meet these eligibility requirements, agrees to abide by these rules, and agrees that the decisions of Smule shall be final and binding.
The Smule Originals Contest will be run August 24th – September 20th. During this timeframe you will be allowed to upload your own original song through Smule and/or sing an uploaded original song.
The judges will be composed of three musically talented people. The judging criteria will be as follows: melody, lyrics, song composition, songwriting technique, uniqueness, and originality.
Grand prize: Up to two winners (1 composer and 1 singer) will be considered for the grand prize. Grand prize winners will be flown out to SF Smule headquarters to professionally record and master the original piece. In addition, we will create a professional music video of the song.
Finalists: 10 finalists will have their song available in the Sing! songbook under the tab Smule Originals.
How to enter:
As a songwriter, submit your song to the contest*:
- First, add your song into the Sing! Songbook (For more details on how to upload, see our entry directions on the web) .
- Tag your song MyOriginal. This way singers can find it and perform it.
- *To officially enter the contest, a singer (it can be yourself) must create a recording with your original.
To officially enter the contest, a singer will have to create a recording with an original song.
- First, find an original song – Check out the playlist on the Smule Originals page or search for songs with the #MyOriginal hashtag. You can do this on web, mobile, or in app.
- Sing! and tag your recording #MyOriginal. Remember the URL, because you will need it to enter. One way to get the URL is to use the share icons to send it to yourself.
- Finally, fill out the form found on our blog! Enter the URL of your recording! Entries will be added to a playlist under the “Hot Recordings” section!
All songs must formally be entered via the form, which can be found on Smule.com/SmuleOriginalsContest with both the completed recording.
Entries may only be submitted after the start of the Contest and must comply with all applicable laws, including copyright laws. Any entry deemed by Smule to be in poor taste or obscene will be disqualified. No purchase is necessary to enter the Contest.
Winner Selection: Winners will be determined by the Smule team based on melody, lyrics, song composition, songwriting technique, uniqueness, and originality Smule will announce the prize winners via our blog, and also on Smule’s Facebook and Twitter accounts on September 25. Smule will contact the winners by email to confirm the prize.
Entry in the Contest constitutes each participant’s irrevocable, perpetual permission and consent, without further compensation or attribution, for Smule and/or others authorized by Smule, to use the participant’s entry and name, Sing! username, and likeness for advertising, commercial, and publicity purposes by, in any and all media, throughout the world, for the duration of the copyright in that entry. Smule and/or others authorized by Smule shall have the right to edit, adapt, and modify each entry. Each participant releases and discharges Smule from any and all liability in connection with the Contest.
Eligibility: The contest is open to all members of the public. If the winner is deemed to be a minor under the jurisdiction of their residence, the winner’s parent or legal guardian must execute the necessary affidavit and release in a timely manner or an alternate winner may be chosen.